turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I find and attach a Schedule ICR form to my state return for 2019? I want to apply for my homeschooling credits through the state of Illinois.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

How do I find and attach a Schedule ICR form to my state return for 2019? I want to apply for my homeschooling credits through the state of Illinois.

Schedule ICR will automatically populate in your Illinois state return when you enter the home school expenses. Here are the steps to put the information into your return to claim this credit.

1) Log into Turbo Tax Online:

2) Navigate to your state return by selecting State in the Left Navigational pane of your program

3) Your federal return will transfer data to your state return, once this is done then:

4) Scroll through the interview questions until you reach a screen that says "Take a look at Illinois credits and taxes>personal home and family credits>education credits Select this

5)  When you get to the screen that says Education Credit answer all the questions on both screens on the second screen, it asks "Did the student attend an Illinois school in one of the grades from kindergarten through twelfth?" Select learn more and this will list the qualifier if whether or not you can take this credit.

6) You should come to a screen that says Education Expense Credit - Eligible Dependents'

Your child should be listed here. Select edit next to his/her name.

7) indicate yes he/she is eligible.

😎 Then edit again when his/her name appears in the Student Expense Summary

9) then there is a Education Expenses screen.  His name should already be populated. Indicate his year in school, leave the school name blank, put in the city where you live, and then check the box that says home school. Then you will put in the expenses for tuition (if you hired a tutor) books & lab fees. These are the only expenses you can deduct.

10) At this point, finish your return and when it is finished, it will tell you what your education credit is. At this point, there should  be a Schedule ICR in your return that claims this credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Schedule ICR will automatically populate in your Illinois state return when you enter the home school expenses. Here are the steps to put the information into your return to claim this credit.

1) Log into Turbo Tax Online:

2) Navigate to your state return by selecting State in the Left Navigational pane of your program

3) Your federal return will transfer data to your state return, once this is done then:

4) Scroll through the interview questions until you reach a screen that says "Take a look at Illinois credits and taxes>personal home and family credits>education credits Select this

5)  When you get to the screen that says Education Credit answer all the questions on both screens on the second screen, it asks "Did the student attend an Illinois school in one of the grades from kindergarten through twelfth?" Select learn more and this will list the qualifier if whether or not you can take this credit.

6) You should come to a screen that says Education Expense Credit - Eligible Dependents'

Your child should be listed here. Select edit next to his/her name.

7) indicate yes he/she is eligible.

😎 Then edit again when his/her name appears in the Student Expense Summary

9) then there is a Education Expenses screen.  His name should already be populated. Indicate his year in school, leave the school name blank, put in the city where you live, and then check the box that says home school. Then you will put in the expenses for tuition (if you hired a tutor) books & lab fees. These are the only expenses you can deduct.

10) At this point, finish your return and when it is finished, it will tell you what your education credit is. At this point, there should  be a Schedule ICR in your return that claims this credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You!

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

First, finish your federal return completely. You could even run the Federal Review.

Next, go to State listed in the left navigation pane>Click Continue>Click add a state if you haven't added Illinois. If you have already added Illinois, revisit and edit this,

Run through all interview questions. You will see: "Take a look at Illinois credits and taxes">personal home and family credits>education credits and follow the prompts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies