How do I confirm that I'm not over-paying SS Tax a...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I confirm that I'm not over-paying SS Tax and Medicare Tax (even though I have income in two states)?

2 Replies
Level 15

How do I confirm that I'm not over-paying SS Tax and Medicare Tax (even though I have income in two states)?

Income in two or more states is immaterial......it's income from separate employer's W-2 forms that you normally have to be aware of.

The total of your own, different employer, W-2 forms, box 4 values, should not exceed $8239.80 for 2019 taxes.   That's the MAX you have to pay into SS.   On each W-2 form, box 4 should not be more than 6.2% of the box 5 value....and a W-2, from one employer, should not have a box 3 value greater than 132,900 for 2019 .

There is no max for Medicare , but box 6 on each separate W-2 (if  you have W-2 forms from different employers) should not exceed 1.45% of box 5

Level 15

If you had more than one employer and  the total of box 4 (only box 4 not box 6) on all your 2019 W2s  for Social Security is more than $8,239.80 you get the excess back on your tax return.  And it is for each spouse separately, not combined.  

Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 for it.  Then Schedule 3 goes to 1040 line 18d.

For 2020 the max is $8,537.40 on $137,700 of wages.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings