turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moorhous

How do I apply part of my State (NC) refund to 2019 estimated taxes? Please note I am asking about NC State taxes NOT federal; the latter is easy to do with Turbo Tax.

I want to apply part of my 2018 NC State refund to my 2019 estimated NC State taxes.  How do I do that using Turbo Tax deluxe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
jeffrygil

How do I apply part of my State (NC) refund to 2019 estimated taxes? Please note I am asking about NC State taxes NOT federal; the latter is easy to do with Turbo Tax.

I already paid permire. So I do have to more money for deluxe??

why do you ask?   OR are you questioning the NC e-file Fee of $20.  That is always the case to "E-file" a State with desktop (Will go up to $25 in march)

For the application of any part of the NC refund to next year....it's immaterial which version you are using.

OF course, this can only be done before you actually file your NC forms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

If you're filing form D-400, Line 29 of the form lets you apply refund towards estimated 2019 taxes. You can access via last item in state tax form in turbotax that asks about other tax situations; one of those is Estimated 2019 taxes, but it does ask about information of estimated income etc for 2019. I don't know if anyway to do a manual insertion into the final form from turbotax. an alternative would be to transfer the information derived by turbotax onto a real paper form and insert how much you want to apply from your refund to your estimated 2019 taxes. Hope that helps.

Click the State taxes tab -- should see: lets work on your state refund

click Continue; next to North Carolina, click Edit;

?you should see a list of four items, 

the last one Other Situations: click Edit next to it

You should see a screen with Other Situations and Other Forms;

Under Other Forms: click the buitton next to Make Estimated Payments for next year

You now need to click through several screens:

Do you want to pay NC Estimated taxes for next year? click yes

Farmer ro Fisherman?...(I answered no) 

Now you get a list of boxes to enter estimates--or accept last years values;  enter as needed and CONTINUE

Child deduction? answer and continue

Filing status: answer and continue

CHOOSE PAYMENT OPTION:

This is where you specify HOW MUCH of your excess payments (refund) you want to apply to 2019 NC taxes.

Select your choice and continue

Now you see a screen Apply Overpayment - Refund Excess confirming your payment and giving the amount of any remaining refund.  CONTINUE

Pay 2019 Estimated Tax?  Click YES to confirm.

Report Payments already made:

NOTE this is for 2019 payments, not 2018 payments, probably irrelevant.  CONTINUE

Select rounding options:  This would be for quarterly  checks you will send in beside the refund amount.  CONTINUE

Estimated tax payments:  the rest of the estimated payments besides the "refund".

At this point, I think you're finished with the estimated payments.

Anyway, that's the way I did it; hope it works for you.

BTW, you may need to run thru the screens again.  It seems to me the first time I tried it, I got incorrect values for the residual refund.

pbc45
Returning Member

Thank you for the information, step by step!!  It's easy to find on the federal return, but not the state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies