Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How deduct/change U.S. government interest from state (IL) income?

How do I deduct/change U.S. government interest from state (IL) income? In IL-1040, I want to change the amount for U.S. government interest. Clicking "Edit" does not offer any option to do anything. How do I change the amount? A percentage of dividends in Form 1099-DIV from mutual funds is from such interest and is deductible in Illinois. Help on this topic refers to only Form 1099-INT, nothing on Form 1099-DIV.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Follow these steps to deduct U.S. Government interest form your Illinois income.  In the federal return, after you enter your 1099-DIV information, select Continue -

• The next screen will ask Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you
  • Select A portion of these dividends is US Government Interest, select Continue
  • Select the appropriate option on the next screen, select Continue
  • Enter U.S. Government Interest in the box provided
  • TurboTax will carry this information over to your Illinois tax return

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Follow these steps to deduct U.S. Government interest form your Illinois income.  In the federal return, after you enter your 1099-DIV information, select Continue -

• The next screen will ask Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you
  • Select A portion of these dividends is US Government Interest, select Continue
  • Select the appropriate option on the next screen, select Continue
  • Enter U.S. Government Interest in the box provided
  • TurboTax will carry this information over to your Illinois tax return
AMTFOE

This is really confusing because the TVA or other agency INTEREST I am trying to exclude from my IL return is reported on the 1099-INT form, NOT 1099-DIV form. If I try to specify special state treatment after entering the 1099-INT, TurboTax only allows special treatment for Maine, Maryland, Mass, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Tennessee and West Virginia.

IL Publication 101 (Rev. 3/10) states, "The income from notes, bonds, debentures, and
other similar obligations issued by the following is exempt
from Illinois Income Tax: ...Tennessee Valley Authority."

Wouldn't excluding 1099-DIV amounts create an inconsistency or is it OK since it doesn't affect your Federal taxes and the right amount flows through to IL Schedule M, line 21?  What if your actual DIV income is zero or less than the interest you are trying to exclude, will this workaround still work?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies