turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tophcat

How can I get my federal return to remove the state sales tax deduction and use the state and local income tax deduction instead? It will not let me remove it myself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How can I get my federal return to remove the state sales tax deduction and use the state and local income tax deduction instead? It will not let me remove it myself.

You don't have to delete the sales tax information.  If you State Income Taxes Withheld is a larger amount than you sales tax information TurboTax will automatically claim the State Income Taxes.

If, by chance, you indicated you wanted to claim Sales Tax you can get rid of the "forced" Sales Tax deduction by following the steps below:

• Click on Federal
  • Click on Deductions & Credits
  • Click the Edit button beside Sales Tax
  • Click the appropriate button (Mine is Try sales tax anyway)
  • Click on Easy Guide
  • On the Places You Lived screen, click Done
  • You will be asked about Nontaxable Income.  If you don't have any click No
  • You will see a screen "We've Chosen a Deduction for You"  (See the screenshot below)
  • If you are told you are deducting Sales Tax, click on Change your deduction.  This will give you a drop-down that shows three options:  The larger deduction, State and local income tax deduction or Sales tax deduction  (See the second screenshot below)
  • Choose one, then click Continue

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies