Solved: How can I apply for the Massachusetts Residential Renewable Income Tax Credit? I completed my taxes and nowhere was I prompted about it

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I apply for the Massachusetts Residential Renewable Income Tax Credit? I completed my taxes and nowhere was I prompted about it

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I apply for the Massachusetts Residential Renewable Income Tax Credit? I completed my taxes and nowhere was I prompted about it

This was very hard to find. It is actually under Credits: Business related non-refundable credits

There is a drop down menu for Solar and Wind. Then you enter the credit available to you and credit you are taking this year. You do not need a certificate number.

These are the qualifications for this credit:

The Solar and Wind Energy Credit is available to owners or tenants of residential property who install a renewable energy source such as a solar hot water system.

The credit is 15% of the cost, including installation, of the renewable energy source. The credit cannot exceed $1,000. If you moved during the year, you may take the $1,000 for each of your principal residences

The residential property must be your principal residence. For example, a summer home does not qualify.

The following must all be true to qualify:
 - you must be the first one to use the energy source item
 - it must be expected to last five years
 - it must meet the performance and quality standards set by the Commissioner of Revenue

Complete Massachusetts instructions (page 27):

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/01/16/dor-2018-inc-form-1-inst.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply

This was very hard to find. It is actually under Credits: Business related non-refundable credits

There is a drop down menu for Solar and Wind. Then you enter the credit available to you and credit you are taking this year. You do not need a certificate number.

These are the qualifications for this credit:

The Solar and Wind Energy Credit is available to owners or tenants of residential property who install a renewable energy source such as a solar hot water system.

The credit is 15% of the cost, including installation, of the renewable energy source. The credit cannot exceed $1,000. If you moved during the year, you may take the $1,000 for each of your principal residences

The residential property must be your principal residence. For example, a summer home does not qualify.

The following must all be true to qualify:
 - you must be the first one to use the energy source item
 - it must be expected to last five years
 - it must meet the performance and quality standards set by the Commissioner of Revenue

Complete Massachusetts instructions (page 27):

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/01/16/dor-2018-inc-form-1-inst.pdf

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings