turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home mortgage interest deduction is not deducted on federal income tax form, do I reenterd on the alabama state tax form for married filing jointly; using standard ded.

More About Your Alabama Deductions

If you didn't enter your home expenses, such as mortgage interest, insurance and property taxes, on your federal return because they wouldn't be deductible, here's your chance to see if they are deductible on your Alabama return.

I did enter the amt. on my federal form, but I did not have enough itemized deductions, so using the Standard deduction.  Will the Mortgage Deduction still be carried over to the Alabama State Tax Form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

Home mortgage interest deduction is not deducted on federal income tax form, do I reenterd on the alabama state tax form for married filing jointly; using standard ded.

Yes, it will be carried over to Alabama state return. You do not re-enter them. This is what Alabama says:

If you qualify for the Mortgage Interest Credit on your Federal return, the total interest you paid (before the

credit) is deductible for Alabama purposes.

Here are the complete instructions form Alabama (page 19):

https://revenue.alabama.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/18f40bk.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Cindy0H

Yes, it will be carried over to Alabama state return. You do not re-enter them. This is what Alabama says:

If you qualify for the Mortgage Interest Credit on your Federal return, the total interest you paid (before the

credit) is deductible for Alabama purposes.

Here are the complete instructions form Alabama (page 19):

https://revenue.alabama.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/18f40bk.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies