Hi. I would like to know how I owe DC state taxes ...

satine2222

Hi. I would like to know how I owe DC state taxes even though I worked in Virginia in 2020

I lived in DC for all of 2020 but worked in VA from January 2020-August 2020 only
MaryK1101

In general, you are required to file a tax return for your resident state and if you earned income in another state, you would file a nonresident state tax return.  However, DC and Virginia have a reciprocal agreement so if you live in one state but work in the other, you would only report and pay tax to your resident state.  

You should file and report the income in DC only.  If your employer withholds Virginia income tax, you can file Form 763-S to claim a refund.

satine2222

Ok I understand. Thank for clearing up my confusion. Have a good rest of the day!