charlenep21

Hi, I received unemployment from NJ as that is where I worked but I live in NY. Do I need to file both NY & NJ state taxes?

DanielV01

You will only file a NY return.  The NJ unemployment income is considered New York income if you received it while living in New York.  (All income you receive while living in New York is taxable in New York).  However, even if the unemployment were considered as taxable to NJ, NJ does not tax unemployment.  Please see this website for more information:  http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit12.shtml

DanielV01

Did you work in NJ at all last year?
charlenep21

No i did not work in NJ at all last year.
charlenep21

Thank you for your help.
DanielV01

You are welcome.
DanielV01