louisewerbe

Hello, I was a resident of NYC in 2020 but worked in CA for less than 2 months earning less than $1000. Turbo tax prompts me to fill out a return for CA. Is that correct?

MayaD

Yes, as a nonresident, you pay tax on your taxable income from California sources.

Sourced income includes, but is not limited to:

• Services performed in California
  • Rent from real property located in California
  • The sale or transfer of real California property
  • Income from a California business, trade or profession

You will be able to claim a credit on your NY resident return for taxes paid to another state.

TomD8

CA has income thresholds below which you do not have to file.  See "Filing Requirements" in this web reference:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/residency-status/part-year-and-nonresident.html

Note that the thresholds are based on your total gross income, not just on your income from CA.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
louisewerbe

Right makes sense, but do I need to file a CA state return?

JotikaT2

Yes, assuming your total gross income exceeds the threshold amounts listed above, you will still need to file a nonresident income tax return for the $1,000 earned from California sources.

See the example as provided by California below for more details on how your California sourced income will be taxed.

CA nonresident taxation on compensation