turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello! Can I claim a refund of 30% income tax withholding as non resident alien as my country of residence has no tax treaty with teh U.S.? Appreciate your answer, thanks

I have the dual citizenship (Italian & German), but I live in Costa Rica and I am in a process to get my residence. As I want to start selling on Amazon.com, Amazon would withhold 30% of gross revenue as Costa Rica has no tax treaty with the U.S. Is there any way to avoid this as a European "citizen"? Can I get this 30% refunded in when I file a tax return in the U.S.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Hello! Can I claim a refund of 30% income tax withholding as non resident alien as my country of residence has no tax treaty with teh U.S.? Appreciate your answer, thanks

Amazon, is treating you as a non-resident alien for US tax purposes. In such case there is a requirement to withold 30% of gross payments/earnings by the agent ( in this case Amazon). I don't believe it makes any difference as to your citizenship  or residency ( other than claiming treaty benefits).  Where I have a doubt here is  that  you gross  income from US sources is being treated as  net income.  However, you can file a 1040-NR  showing your expenses  and hopefully things would get more in line . Note that TurboTax does not support non-resident alien  filing ( 1040-NR)  directly but a sister organization does. Perhaps you should consult a local tax person familiar with US tax laws.  Good Luck

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Amazon, is treating you as a non-resident alien for US tax purposes. In such case there is a requirement to withold 30% of gross payments/earnings by the agent ( in this case Amazon). I don't believe it makes any difference as to your citizenship  or residency ( other than claiming treaty benefits).  Where I have a doubt here is  that  you gross  income from US sources is being treated as  net income.  However, you can file a 1040-NR  showing your expenses  and hopefully things would get more in line . Note that TurboTax does not support non-resident alien  filing ( 1040-NR)  directly but a sister organization does. Perhaps you should consult a local tax person familiar with US tax laws.  Good Luck

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies