Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Georgia Tax Refund question

Because we are 1099ers, we often apply any refund for state and federal to the next year's est. taxes. So, that's what I did this year. A little over $100 applied to our 2022 Georgia tax liability. My tax paperwork filed says we get zero refund, correctly. But for some reason, we got a $34 refund auto deposited in Mid March, about a week after we filed, in the bank account we use to pay estimated taxes. It's labeled GA state tax refund. (It was not deposited the acct. I've used historically when we have accepted a refund in the past, which is our personal joint account. But instead to one of our single member LLC bank accounts.

To clarify...This is not the special refund for married couples that will be $250 each / $500 total which wasn't passed until about 2 weeks after that $34 showed up. So it's not some kind of pro-rated amount of that total. 

Any guesses why we got this? Since my TurboTax s/w still shows we would not have received a refund, it's not going to show this $34 next year when I do my 2022 taxes. (Not that it should matter b/c we didn't itemize this year. I know that is more important when you do a Schedule A if you wrote off the state tax costs the prior year.) I haven't been able to solve the mystery, including when I sign into where we process GA estimated taxes quarterly.

Curious if anyone here had that happen?  Or has any theories? 🙂  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

It is probably because the state of Georgia calculated your tax and your refund different than you did.  Since your refund was not the $100 you designated for the estimated payment, they sent it to you as a refund.  Whatever the reason, Georgia Department of Revenue will send you a letter of explanation.  You can also call and ask them - it's pretty easy to get through to them:  Contact Georgia DOR 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Since TurboTax software did the math on what my refund was supposed to be... It looks to me now like it changed after we filed taxes (which it's now showing after upgrading to the latest patch for the s/w that they seem to make us install every few days. 🙂

For example... I told GA to keep the entire amount (which at the time was $152. I'm glad I have a record of that.) But now that I've updated the software, it's showing my GA amount should have been $186. Since turbo tax was only told to give them 152 at the time... they sent us the $34 back.

But the challenge now is we didn't give them $186 but TT acts like we did now. (That column says Amount applied is $186. Probably because it was a check box to say give them everything. But 'everything' was not that amount at the time of filing.

I probably have to figure out how to adjust that document for next year so when we import, it doesn't erroneous say we gave them $186 when it was only $152... I wonder why that happened?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies