turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cville45

Do I have to pay taxes in Indiana for a 1099R in my name received as a death benefit from my brother who lived in Illinois?

My brother died in December 2018 and lived in Illinois.  I live in Indiana and received a 1099R in my name as a death benefit.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PhyllisG

Do I have to pay taxes in Indiana for a 1099R in my name received as a death benefit from my brother who lived in Illinois?

Fortunately, you do not have to pay taxes on the death benefit in Illinois and Indiana. Both states do not have an inheritance tax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PhyllisG

Fortunately, you do not have to pay taxes on the death benefit in Illinois and Indiana. Both states do not have an inheritance tax.

PhyllisG

I am providing additional information regarding the Form 1099-R that was received.

If there is a Code 4 in Box 7 of the Form 1099-R, it represents funds that may have been taxable to your brother, in which case you as the beneficiary would pay the tax on it.  

In looking at the Indiana tax forms and TurboTax entries, Indiana uses the federal AGI as the starting point then subtracts out specific exempt income.  In which case, it would be taxable in Indiana (unless it was a military retirement).

After you input the Form 1099-R code into TurboTax it will determine if the amount is subject to taxation in the respective states.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies