• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikeandsandie

For my Wisconsin return, is the interest I pay on my Florida condo considered a “second home” outside the state even though it is the only home I own?

I live in Wisconson in a home that I rent.  The only home I own (and pay interest on) is a condo in Florida, at which I stayed for about a month and rented out for two months. The Wisconsin tax return gives an Itemized Deductions Credit equal to 5% of mortgage interest expense.  The form says, "Do not include interest paid to purchase a second home outside of Wisconsin."  In this context, is my Florida condo a "second" home?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelL1
Level 15

For my Wisconsin return, is the interest I pay on my Florida condo considered a “second home” outside the state even though it is the only home I own?

The Florida condo is considered a 2nd home, as the place you rent in WI is considered your primary home (even without owning it) for tax purposes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelL1
Level 15

The Florida condo is considered a 2nd home, as the place you rent in WI is considered your primary home (even without owning it) for tax purposes.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v