turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to provide a state (e.g., TX) under personal info or for my state return if I have lived and worked abroad from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Do I need to provide a state (e.g., TX) under personal info or for my state return if I have lived and worked abroad from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2017?

First of all, Texas does not have any state taxes.  You do not need to file one. 

Generally speaking, if your permanent address is outside the US and you earned no US-sourced income, you would not file a State Income tax return. However, there are exceptions.  For example, if you are a California resident and live overseas, California still considers you a resident for tax purposes until you've been absent from the state at least 546 consecutive days. 

Hope it helps!  Otherwise, please write back with more information for further assistance. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

First of all, Texas does not have any state taxes.  You do not need to file one. 

Generally speaking, if your permanent address is outside the US and you earned no US-sourced income, you would not file a State Income tax return. However, there are exceptions.  For example, if you are a California resident and live overseas, California still considers you a resident for tax purposes until you've been absent from the state at least 546 consecutive days. 

Hope it helps!  Otherwise, please write back with more information for further assistance. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies