Federal Schedule 1, Line 1 (state refund) not tran...

Federal Schedule 1, Line 1 (state refund) not transferring to Minnesota (M1) Line 6

Hi. The amount of my MN state refund from 2018, as reported on federal Schedule 1, Line 1, is not transferring to Minnesota form M1, Line 6.  Is there a fix or a workaround?  Please see below for details:

Thank you.

9.png

As-entered ($123 for MN 2018 refund):

1.png

As-shown in underlying form on federal schedule 1, line 1:

2.png

As-shown in print preview of Minnesota form M1, line 6, $123 did not transfer from Schedule 1, line 1:

3.png

4.png

As-shown in underlying table of M1M:

5.png

6.png

Note, I have no income from MI or ND which could otherwise explain my issue:

11.png

12.png

It depends. If you took the standard deduction, then you do not have to claim the refund as income. 

The underlying question is whether you had a tax benefit for your refund in the prior year. If you did not itemize your deductions, but instead took the standard deduction, then you did not "over-deduct" your state taxes that were then partially refunded. 

If you do not have to claim the refund as income, then there is no correlating income tax refund reported on line 6 of your Minnesota Schedule 1.

Click on the link for the 2019 Minnesota Individual Income Tax Instructions page 13 on Line 6-State Income Tax Refund 

Thank you for the reply Kathryn.  I did itemize last year and typically do.

I too was reading through the MN Line 6 instructions which lead me to post my question.  Since I did file a return, and, I do have an amount on Line 1 of federal Schedule 1, I was expecting TurboTax to populate MN Line 6 automatically.

If I manually override MN Line 6 and put in the refund amount (per federal Sched. 1) then that increases my refund for this year (2019) by.  However, I am then unable to e-file per turbo tax.

In the end, I ended up leaving it blank, as TurboTax has it. I like to think it is smarter than me.

Thank you

The form you posted showing the refund in the Federal worksheet does not mean it was carried through to the 1040. 

Please check your Federal Schedule 1 line 10.