Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Doing my NY state return. TurboTax uses my federal AGI. I have income from 3 states. Shouldn't it use only the NY portion? How do I adjust that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Doing my NY state return. TurboTax uses my federal AGI. I have income from 3 states. Shouldn't it use only the NY portion? How do I adjust that?

It is how NY calculates nonresident tax.  New York does not tax all of the income, but it will pretend that all of the income is taxable in New York and determine how much tax they would assess on that amount.   Then the tax calculated is prorated to the amount of income earned in New York.  On Form IT-203, you can see this prorate calculate between Lines 45 and 46.

New York does not tax all of the income, but they do factor all of your income in to determine NY tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. Is the actual NY portion not useful to Turbotax? Does it get adjusted after filing?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

What shows up in box 16 of the NY line?  Is it all of the income or just what you made in NY?

Box 16? Is that turbotax or NY form. I have K1: it-204-ip
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My mistake.  Thought it was wages.  Did you enter your NY income in the NY return?.  

Turbotax doesn't ask for it. Just imports federal wages. Cant find a way to adjust for NY.  Can I redo without importing?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Do you have a W2, or only a K-1?

Seems that the earnings I add for other states are subtracted from NY. Thanks for you help.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies