aaron-chute

Doing my NY state return. TurboTax uses my federal AGI. I have income from 3 states. Shouldn't it use only the NY portion? How do I adjust that?

DanielV01

It is how NY calculates nonresident tax.  New York does not tax all of the income, but it will pretend that all of the income is taxable in New York and determine how much tax they would assess on that amount.   Then the tax calculated is prorated to the amount of income earned in New York.  On Form IT-203, you can see this prorate calculate between Lines 45 and 46.

New York does not tax all of the income, but they do factor all of your income in to determine NY tax.

aaron-chute

Thank you. Is the actual NY portion not useful to Turbotax? Does it get adjusted after filing?
DanielV01

What shows up in box 16 of the NY line?  Is it all of the income or just what you made in NY?
aaron-chute

Box 16? Is that turbotax or NY form. I have K1: it-204-ip
DanielV01

My mistake.  Thought it was wages.  Did you enter your NY income in the NY return?.  
aaron-chute

Turbotax doesn't ask for it. Just imports federal wages. Cant find a way to adjust for NY.  Can I redo without importing?
DanielV01

Do you have a W2, or only a K-1?
aaron-chute

Seems that the earnings I add for other states are subtracted from NY. Thanks for you help.