Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the Inflation Reduction Act allow an individual to sell their federal solar electric tax credits to someone else?

When the act was passed earlier in 2022 I read about the option to sell your credits to someone else, but I am having difficulty finding anything about how to do this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Does the Inflation Reduction Act allow an individual to sell their federal solar electric tax credits to someone else?

I may have missed it, but I do not see an answer to my question?

@Insagn - I am not aware that you can trade the unused credits - and it really doesn't make a lot of sense that Congress would have authorized that.  

The solar credits are 'non-refundable', which is what could create a market for them since some people won't be able to use them in the year of their install and some won't ever be able to take atvantage of the credits, given their own tax situation.

but if Congress wanted individuals to get value of the unused credits, they could have made the credits (or some portion of them) refundable credits,  But they didn't do that: the solar credits are non-refundable.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies