turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lonus83

Does mortgage interest transfer to CA Schedule CA if i claimed standard deduction on federal? I cant see it on Schedule CA and want to itemize on CA

I see the Mortgage interest on the federal worksheet but it transfers to Schedule CA as zero: in effect forcing me to use standard deduction for CA too. How can i change this? I am unable to edit it in the Form view for Schedule CA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PpJW26

Does mortgage interest transfer to CA Schedule CA if i claimed standard deduction on federal? I cant see it on Schedule CA and want to itemize on CA

I can't use TurboTax for California for exactly that reason.  I will file directly on the CA website. For free, not $24.99!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PpJW26

I can't use TurboTax for California for exactly that reason.  I will file directly on the CA website. For free, not $24.99!
lonus83

I figured this out. Turbo tax does not ask you this in the guided questions, but you need to go the Mortgage Interest worksheet and check box 2d to show if the mortgage is secured by your residence. The mortgage interest then flowed onto my Federal Schedule A and CA Schedule CA
PpJW26

Thank you for figuring this out. Since we enter the info during the federal input, one would think that it would then compare standard vs. Itemized on the State.

I did, however, skip the State in here and filed directly in ftb.ca.gov website, taking a few minutes of my time, but saving me $24.99.

I had spoken with Intuit support which told me that the version I bought included one free state filing. I won't do this again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies