Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

F1 to OPT within the 5-year exemption period, non resident

I was on F1 from Aug 2013 to Jul 2015 and on F1-OPT from Sep 2015 to Feb 2017. My status was changed to H1B in Feb 2017. My employer withheld the FICA tax starting from Feb 2017. Do I exempt from the substantial presence test for 5 years (2013-2017)? Can I get the refund of FICA if I file as a non-resident alien?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

As a F-visa holder, you are exempt from counting days and treated as a nonresident for  2013-2017.  When you switch to H-1B in February 2017, you become a resident from February 2017 and make yourself a dual-status alien.  While you are a nonresident, you are exempt from paying FICA.  You will start paying FICA after February.  To claim a refund of the FICA you have paid, you should contact your employer.  If you are unable to get a full refund from your employer, you can request the refund from the IRS by filing a Form 843.  For more information, please see  More Form 843 

Does it mean that if I file as a non-resident for 2017, I can get the refund of the FICA tax from February to December 2017?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies