• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mv1

Does Federal tax differ from state to state? say my salary is 15000$/year. will the federal tax i pay in NY be different from what i Pay in Texas?

4 Replies
GilbertC

Does Federal tax differ from state to state? say my salary is 15000$/year. will the federal tax i pay in NY be different from what i Pay in Texas?

The Federal tax rate is Federal- it won't matter where you live. However each state can have it's own tax rate.

mv1

So you say the federal tax amount is fixed where ever you live and only the State tax you owe would differ depending on where you live?
SweetieJean
Level 15

Federal taxes are just that...Federal.  Are you just moving to the USA?
pk
Level 13
Level 13

Adding to TurboTaxGilbertC's correct response, you may see a difference if and only if you choose itemized  deduction with state taxes withheld. But this effect is not being caused by the federal taxes but by  taxable income being reduced  due to state tax.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v