Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anyone know the locality of wv? I’m so confused…

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What?   West Virginia is a state.    Is there something on your W-2 that shows a local tax?  Where are you seeing something about "locality" that is confusing you?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Boxes 18, 19 and 20 on a W-2 show local taxes.   If boxes 18, 19 and 20  are blank on your W-2 you do not have to enter anything for those boxes.   Those boxes are often blank unless you have a city or municipal tax of some sort.   Do you have anything in box 18 or box 19?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

WV does not have local income tax.  But if you work in OH, PA or KY (and maybe MD), you may have local tax taken out of your pay.  If so, it will show in box 19 of your W-2.   WV does not give you a credit for local tax paid in another state*. 

If you itemize deductions, you do get a deduction for the box 19 amount on the federal return. Just enter your W-2, exactly as received, and TurboTax (TT) will handle it

Otherwise, you need to explain where "locality" is coming up in the TT interview. 

*WV will give you a credit for state taxes paid to another state, except "reciprocal states" (Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Virginia).  If reciprocal state taxes were withheld, you have to file in that state for a refund.  However the reciprocity agreements does not apply to local city/county taxes.  You can not get those refunded (MD may be an exception). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies