turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cccox1

Do you help determine if I've paid taxes in two states when there should be only one?

I need someone to help me determine whether I've overpaid state taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do you help determine if I've paid taxes in two states when there should be only one?

Did you file tax returns in two states?  Was income withheld from your paychecks in two different states?  What do your W-2's show in boxes 15, 16, and 17?  Did you live in one state and work in another state?  Or did you move from one state to another during the tax year?  We cannot see your tax returns or your account, so please provide more information.  Why do you think you paid tax in two states?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cccox1

Thank you.

I lived in one state (Utah) and worked in another (NM).  I paid taxes in both Utah and NM in 2017 and 2018.  However, TurboTax did not calculate NM taxes owed for 2019 and I was refunded everything that had been withheld for NM.

That raised my questions as I can see that I paid taxes in both states for 2017 and 2018.

I don't know who to go to in order to have this reviewed and/or amended.

Thank you.

TomD8
Level 15

Your resident state of UT can tax ALL your income.  Your non-resident state of NM can tax the income you earned by working in NM.  Therefore you must file in both states: a non-resident NM tax return and your home state UT tax return. 

In TurboTax, you should have prepared your non-resident NM return first, before you did your home state UT return.  I suspect you may have done your state returns in reverse order.

Your income from NM is taxable by both states, but you'll be able to take a credit on your UT return for taxes paid to NM.  But in order for TT to correctly calculate the credit and taxes owed, you must do the state returns in the correct sequence.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies