tv43cull18

Do I need to file VA state taxes? I live in WA but sold gifted property in VA. There were no state taxes withheld and there was not a capital gain.

DanielV01

It depends.  Gifted property can always be a bit tricky because you need to figure out your basis.  But, if you have done this, and you have determined that there is no capital gain on the sale, there will not be a need to file a Virginia return, because there will not be any taxable income in Virginia.  You may choose to file, however, as Virginia does update their records periodically, but you are not required to do so.  Here is a VA website with more information:  https://www.tax.virginia.gov/who-must-file

DanielV01