• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glasses211

Do i need to file two state returns if i only worked in one state

I lived and worked in Idaho for 6 months, then moved to Oregon and did not work or have any income the rest of the year. Do I need to file state returns in Idaho and Oregon, or only Oregon?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

If you worked (and earned wage income) in Idaho for the first half of the year, and then moved to Oregon in the second half of the year (receiving no taxalbe income while there, including any unemployment benefits from Idaho, for example) then the answer to your question is that you only need to file a tax return in Idaho, as a part-year resident.

Otherwise, you may need to file part-year resident state returns in both Idaho and Oregon.

Please refer to the following Oregon Department of Revenue webpage for additional details on the need to file an Oregon tax return (or not):

https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/programs/individuals/Pages/file-requirements.aspx

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

If you worked (and earned wage income) in Idaho for the first half of the year, and then moved to Oregon in the second half of the year (receiving no taxalbe income while there, including any unemployment benefits from Idaho, for example) then the answer to your question is that you only need to file a tax return in Idaho, as a part-year resident.

Otherwise, you may need to file part-year resident state returns in both Idaho and Oregon.

Please refer to the following Oregon Department of Revenue webpage for additional details on the need to file an Oregon tax return (or not):

https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/programs/individuals/Pages/file-requirements.aspx

Thank you for asking this question.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v