vjr-pdr

Do I need to file an Ohio State return? There is reciprocity between Kentucky (my resident state) and Ohio. There is no tax liability or overpayment for my situation.

Hal_Al

No.

In the personal info section, when it asks if you made money in another state, answer NO, per the reciprocal state instructions, on that page. This will prevent TurboTax from thinking you need to file an OH return.

Ohio has a reciprocal agreement, on wages, with all neighboring states. No Ohio state taxes are withheld or due and you do not need to file an OH return. But your home state will tax you on your Ohio income.

If Ohio taxes are mistakenly withheld, you have to file an Ohio return to get a refund. You should ask your employer to stop withholding so you don't have to file an Ohio return every year.

However the reciprocity agreement does not apply to local city taxes. You are not required to file a local city return, but you are also not entitled to a refund of the city withholding (box19 on your W-2), unless there was an error in the amount. If you are subject to a KY county or city tax, you should check to see if the KY city will give you a credit for the OH city tax withheld.