mrsdarkwoman

Do I need to file a state tax return if I worked in Kansas, employer did not take our KS taxes and social security office has that my employer was in Missouri

Employer did not take out Kansas taxes even though KS W-4 was completed.  Employer did take out Missouri taxes though but only $13 on $12k income 

DanielV01

Yes, you still need file, and you will surely owe Kansas tax on this amount.  Kansas taxes all of your income that you earn in Kansas, and Missouri taxes all of your income if you live there.  If this is your situation (work in KS, live in MO), you will file a KS nonresident return, which you should prepare first, and a MO resident return.  Missouri will provide you a credit for the tax you pay to Kansas on the income you earn in Kansas.  The credit will transfer over to the Missouri return if you prepare the KS return first.