rena2075

Do I need to file a state return for California and/or Oregon because my pension comes from CA but I live in OR?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JulieH1

My apologies.

I misread the initial question.  I thought it said you lived in California too.

You only pay state income tax to the state where you live, not the state where you earned or qualified for the pension.

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state. For example, if you receive a pension from your former California employer and you now reside in New Mexico, California may not tax your retirement income. Because you are now a New Mexico resident, your retirement income is taxable in New Mexico.

Edited.

JulieH1

My apologies.

Edited.

NO ... you will ONLY file an OR return no matter where your pension is paid from. 

JulieH1

Thanks Critter#2.