jaredbangs

Do I need to file a state return for a state I moved to but did not work in last year? Turbotax keeps insisting that I do but it doesn't seem necessary.

My husband is in the Air Force and we moved due to PCS orders from IL to ID. We lived in IL for the majority of the year; we moved to ID in December. I work last year in IL but did not work in ID. Turbotax keeps telling us to file an Idaho state return, even though I did not work in ID and my husband does not claim ID residency. His home of record is Texas. I know I have to file a return for IL for sure, since I did work there. But Idaho??? Really? What should I do?

ValerieE

TurboTax will prompt you to file a state return if you indicated you moved into or out of a state during the year.  The program may also prompt you to file a state return if you enter the state abbreviation on any items of income (like a W-2 or 1099).  If you are certain that you do not need to file a state return, and in your case it appears that you do not need to file the Idaho return, you can simply delete the state from your return.  If you have already paid for the state you will not be able to delete it but you do not need to actually file it.  When going through the filing stages do not select the Idaho return to file.

ValerieE