Do I need to file a PA return if I am not being taxed PA and live in NJ? I live in NJ and work in Philadelphia. My employer does not withhold PA state tax.

angel-galiazzi

I have 2 returns, NJ and PA. Work in Philadelphia for the last 3 months of the year. I see box 14 as PASUI and box 19/box 20 for Philadelphia nonresident local income tax. Turbotax has me completing a state tax return for PA. I marked that I worked in another state, since I did.

Vanessa

No, you do not have to file a PA return if you live in NJ and work in PA and they did not withhold taxes in PA.  PA and NJ have reciprocal agreements. 

You can just delete the PA return by going into the state section and clicking delete 

gkennette

Live in NJ, worked in both NJ and PA.  For job in PA - no PA or NJ income tax withheld, only Philadelphia wage tax.  I know I don't need to file a PA tax return and can get a credit on my NJ return for the Philadelphia wage tax.  But - how do I get TurboTax to stop trying to download and install the PA tax return software?  I don't want to pay for something I don't need.  Or, even though the PA tax return software downloads and installs will I only be charged if I try to use (start) that component of the 2019 turbotax?  Thanks, 

KarenJ2

If you have the CD/Download version:  How do I get a refund for TurboTax state download

If you have an online version, if you do not use the state return you do not  pay for it.