kategordon13

Do I need to file a DE state tax return as a non-resident full time student with 2788 wages earned in DE while at school?

Full time student in Delaware earned 2788 at school - she was a NY resident from Jan 1 - aug 10th and then moved to FL.  Also earned 1500 at a summer job in NY with about 115 in capital gains.  Preparing the DE return results in 0 due and 0 refund.  No DE state taxes were withheld. Do I need to file the DE  along with the NY state part time resident return or can I delete it?  Thanks

DanielV01

Yes, Delaware requires you  to file.  The following excerpt is taken from the nonresident instruction book:  

1. Non-Residents – File a tax return if you have any gross income during the tax year from sources in Delaware.

So, even when your income may not require you to file in most places, Delaware wants you to file if you are a nonresident and had Delaware income, even though you may not have Delaware tax.

DanielV01