lduffy07

Do I have to file taxes for a month in ny if i lived and worked in nj for 11 months out of the year?

will i be taxed for the whole year by ny or just for the one month as all income was earned in nj for the year

rjs

You will have to file three state tax returns - New York part-year resident, New Jersey part-year resident, and New Jersey part-year nonresident. You will pay NY tax only for the one month that you lived in NY. TurboTax will guide you through preparing the three returns. Shortly after you start your NJ return it will ask you if you earned income in New Jersey while living in a different state. Be sure to answer Yes.

rjs

What was your situation for the one month? Which state did you live in for that month? Which state did you work in for that month?
lduffy07

lived in nj for 11 months lived in ny for 1 month (where I live now)  worked in nj for the entire 12 months at the same job.
rjs