taylo575

Do I file state taxes if unemployed with residency in a different state than my husband?

My husband is active duty.  His residency is TX (no state taxes).  My residency is SC (state taxes).  I do not work and had $0 income last year.  We own a home together in SC.  Turbo Tax keeps taking me through the steps to file SC state taxes but we have zero income from SC.  Do I still have to file SC taxes?

SteamTrain

If the military person does not have an off-duty civilian job in SC...then no SC tax return would be required for your situation.  You should be able to go back to the beginning of the sate section and delete the entire SC tax forms.

*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

SteamTrain

taylo575

Thank you! 🙂