turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NC1

Do I file in CA (where I sold my home earned almost all my income) or NC (where I moved in Oct. 2016) first?

If I sold my personal residence in CA on Aug. 30, 2016 and established residency in NC in Oct. of 2016 and most of my earned income was made while working in CA (I only earned $150.00 in NC), Should I file in CA or NC taxes first? Do I have to file state taxes in NC at all because of the only $150.00 earned there? Can I use my mother's CA address if I need to use CA as mailing address if this helps?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Do I file in CA (where I sold my home earned almost all my income) or NC (where I moved in Oct. 2016) first?

You would file two part-year resident returns, one for CA and one for NC.  NC requires that you report all income earned in the state.  You should prepare your CA return first, then your NC return.  You can use whatever address you choose in CA and you will be asked if this is  a new address and then to enter your former address.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

You would file two part-year resident returns, one for CA and one for NC.  NC requires that you report all income earned in the state.  You should prepare your CA return first, then your NC return.  You can use whatever address you choose in CA and you will be asked if this is  a new address and then to enter your former address.

NC1

Thank you for your response. I just want to confirm that you think I should file CA first (where I sold my home and earned most of my income)? I am now a resident of NC.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies