Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billskye

Do employers withhold social security tax for employees over 70

I am 71 years old. I work part time and receive social security income.  One part time employer withheld a total of $1489 and a second part time job withheld $848.  I thought people over 70 did not pay social security tax. Was it proper to withhold these amounts given my age and the fact that I am already collecting social security since age 66?  If not, what do I do?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
macuser_22
Level 15

There is no age limit for paying SS. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

There is no age limit for paying SS. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
macuser_22
Level 15

In addition, the SSA reviews new SS payments and will adjust (upward) your SS payments based on the new work record. I believe they do that once a year.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v