Dark_rabbi

Company in Illinois work some months in Florida

I work now full time from home and have a house in Illinois, if work here 6 months and a day here and the rest of the year in Florida, how do I do that on my w2 for the company? And in turbo tax, do I still pay full state tax in Illinois? 

martinmarks

Doesn't matter unless you change your domicile to FL. If you change to FL then you can get a homestead exemption in FL but not IL.......and vice versa.

martinmarks

Sounds like you're a full time IL resident......and pretty much a snowbird. You don't do anything with your W-2.

Dark_rabbi

So it doesn't matter how long I stay in Florida? As long as my primary residence is IL? Unless I change domicile to Florida right? But then I don't get homestead exemption if I'm correct. 

martinmarks

Dark_rabbi

Thx, just to clarify, no matter what state I work in if my domicile is IL my entire wage is IL state income tax? 

TomD8

@Dark_rabbi --

Your domiciliary state can tax ALL your income, regardless of its source.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.