turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

City local tax for Pittsburgh

I lived in Pittsburgh, PA for 2 months last year and remaining 10 months in NC

I have to file local tax return for Pittsburgh, (Earned Income Tax return i.e form CLGS-32-1  it looks like)

Since I lived there only 2 months do I get a return for that? My income slightly went over 12K total for PA for 2 months.

That income hasn't been taxed in NC as far as I know(looking at payrolls)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Probably not. It depends how much Earned Income Tax (EIT) was withheld from your pay.

Pittsburgh has a flat tax rate of 3% and mandatory local tax filing whether or not you owe, get a refund or break even.

Most likely your employer withheld 3%, so you will probably file a "zero balance" return. A quick way to tell is to look at boxes 18 (local wages, tips, etc.) and box 19 of your W-2.  If you made $12,000 in Pittsburgh, box 19 should be $360 or 3% ($360/$12,000). You pay North Carolina tax on your NC income.

Other localities surrounding the City of Pittsburgh have different EIT rates, but the procedure is the same.

It may seem silly to file a zero balance return, but (1) it's mandatory and (2) it's especially important to file if you moved so Pittsburgh can close your account.

You can download forms and get more information at ACT-32 Local Earned Income Tax Forms & Downloads.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Probably not. It depends how much Earned Income Tax (EIT) was withheld from your pay.

Pittsburgh has a flat tax rate of 3% and mandatory local tax filing whether or not you owe, get a refund or break even.

Most likely your employer withheld 3%, so you will probably file a "zero balance" return. A quick way to tell is to look at boxes 18 (local wages, tips, etc.) and box 19 of your W-2.  If you made $12,000 in Pittsburgh, box 19 should be $360 or 3% ($360/$12,000). You pay North Carolina tax on your NC income.

Other localities surrounding the City of Pittsburgh have different EIT rates, but the procedure is the same.

It may seem silly to file a zero balance return, but (1) it's mandatory and (2) it's especially important to file if you moved so Pittsburgh can close your account.

You can download forms and get more information at ACT-32 Local Earned Income Tax Forms & Downloads.

Looks like for the locality I stayed in it was 1% which was already deducted by employer.

I will file $0 return as you suggested.

I had to confirm because the tax accountant I hired last year messed up the local tax return form giving different return files to post 2 times, he was unable to rectify his error.

Your response is helpful, thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies