turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

disantol

"Choose the state where your tax-exempt dividends came from" My 1099-Div does not list a state. Do I put my home state of Georgia?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

"Choose the state where your tax-exempt dividends came from" My 1099-Div does not list a state. Do I put my home state of Georgia?

Not if it was from a municipal bond fund that contained bonds for multiple states

...you go to the bottom of the list and select "More than one state".

You only select GA if the $$ represent ONLY GA-issued bonds from GA, or bonds issued by municipalities in GA.

There is a way to break out just the GA-issued bond interest, but you would need the detailed list from whoever issued the the 1099-DIV form, and you would then calculate the proper amounts from that.

Example: box 10 of the 1099-DIV is $1000.  Your financial provider says 2% were from GA-issued bonds.  You could break out $20 as GA-issued bond interest and save yourself ~$1 in GA taxes.  

Whether it is worth the effort depends on how big box 10 is, and also on the % from GA bonds

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies