turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my employer in Colorado who paid me 3 checks in December 2018 and took nothing out in taxes, now tax my January 2019 weekly paycheck for all the taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can my employer in Colorado who paid me 3 checks in December 2018 and took nothing out in taxes, now tax my January 2019 weekly paycheck for all the taxes?

No.. They can only tax you for the new year

The tax withholding a company does is sometimes done based on the income you are expected to get from that employer, for that tax year.  With only 3 paychecks in 2018 (from that employer), their payroll system may have determined that no withholding was required for you...based on whatever W-4 allowances you entered.

1) Of course, this may have been done without consideration of any other job you may have held prior to that Dec employer, and you could owe some more taxes for hat income when you file.

2) or maybe they paid you as a 1099-MISC contractor for 2018........(If SS and Medicare taxes were withheld from those paychecks, then you don't have to worry about that possible complication)  

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies