Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can MN part-time resident filing with one MN income also claim tax credit for spouse in another state?

My spouse lives and works in SC. I live and work in MN. If I file jointly with Part-Time/Non-Resident status for each person, MN allocates percentage tax amount (% of MN earnings to total joint earnings = tax due). Can I also claim a nonrefundable credit for the amount of tax paid by spouse in SC for spouse's non-MN income earnings?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

Can MN part-time resident filing with one MN income also claim tax credit for spouse in another state?

The credit is available only if you paid income tax to both Minnesota and another state on the same income.

Therefore if your wife's income was excluded from MN taxation, no credit is available.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

The credit is available only if you paid income tax to both Minnesota and another state on the same income.

Therefore if your wife's income was excluded from MN taxation, no credit is available.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies