miniwrite

Can I use the other state tax credit?

I am a resident of State A. Worked 3 months in State B and received a 1099-MISC. Can I claim the other state tax credit in State A? Does the credit apply both to taxes withheld and taxes paid when filed?
ScottT

Can I use the other state tax credit?

Were you living in State B in 2017?
miniwrite

Can I use the other state tax credit?

Yes! I should have mentioned that. I lived there for a while and filled out a part-year resident return for that state, and owe some tax.
ScottT

Can I use the other state tax credit?

Was the earned income from State B work location part of your living state of residency during 2017? If you moved to a new state during 2017, you'll normally file a part-year return for each state you lived in during 2017, assuming the state(s) collect income tax.

If income was earned from another state but still living at the home state of residency, you'll fill a nonresident state return.

Below is the answer from TurboTax FAQ can help you determine which state part-year or nonresident return to file. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302342