abteplitz

Can I file a MJF Federal return and two separate state returns (my spouse and I have different state residences) in TT's online version (not the download)?

JulieCo

Yes, you can file an MFJ federal return and MFS state returns using TurboTax online programs.  The download product is recommended because you can create and save more than one return in it (for example to create and save the MFJ return and then create two more MFS federal returns -- one for each spouse which would not be filed but used to determine income and expense information to be transferred to MFS state returns) whereas the online version can only create and save one return.  Therefore, you will want to create the MFJ federal return and offline somewhere you will need to calculate the amount of income and expenses which are attributed to each spouse's separate state returns.  

JulieCo

abteplitz

If I use the download version, is there a way to upload the completed returns online so that I can store and access all our tax information in one place?
abteplitz

As a follow-up, can I file the MFJ return online, skip the state return, and then only use the download version for the two state returns?