turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I enter two interest adjustments on the same tax exempt bonds? Will the program allow me to enter both bond premium and accrued interest adjustments?

I purchased tax free municipal bonds at a premium and paid accrued interest in the purchase price.  I can only enter one adjustment, then the program will not accept the other adjustment.  The choices for the adjustments include both adjustments, but I can only enter one of them.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I enter two interest adjustments on the same tax exempt bonds? Will the program allow me to enter both bond premium and accrued interest adjustments?

You can as follows, but first things first.

IF you have a 1099-INT with any $$ in boxes 1, or 3 along with box 8....then you must create a separate 1099-INT for just the box 8 $$/premium/accrued interest.

Then, on that sole 1099-INT, enter your box 8 $$, then the Premium Amort $$ in box 13, then the accrued interest on the followup page .  that takes it all properly.

I put $110 in box 8, $5 in box 13, and $5 of accrued interest, and the proper $100 shows up on line 2a of the new 1040

(don't look at the 1040 "worksheet"...some mislabeled lien numbers there)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can as follows, but first things first.

IF you have a 1099-INT with any $$ in boxes 1, or 3 along with box 8....then you must create a separate 1099-INT for just the box 8 $$/premium/accrued interest.

Then, on that sole 1099-INT, enter your box 8 $$, then the Premium Amort $$ in box 13, then the accrued interest on the followup page .  that takes it all properly.

I put $110 in box 8, $5 in box 13, and $5 of accrued interest, and the proper $100 shows up on line 2a of the new 1040

(don't look at the 1040 "worksheet"...some mislabeled lien numbers there)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies