gmmartin3

Can I deduct state income tax even though I had state tax credits that reduced the amount actually paid?

The amount of income tax shown on my state return is $4508. However, due to credits the state offers for contributions made to 529 accounts and Scholarship granting organizations the actual amount withheld for taxes was only $2107. The federal return is only showing the $2107 as the deduction for state income taxes. Shouldn't the deduction be for the entire $4508? If so, how can it be reported on Schedule A? Do I simply override the amount shown?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anita01

No, if your state tax was lowered by credits then those same credits were used to reduce your tax owed or increase your refund.  Your state income tax deduction is only the net amount.