turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim florida residency for the whole year if I was here from Jan 1 2019 to June15. went back to New Mexico for 4 months to sell my house. returned on October 15?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim florida residency for the whole year if I was here from Jan 1 2019 to June15. went back to New Mexico for 4 months to sell my house. returned on October 15?

Florida permanent residency, according to the Section 196.015, is determined by the property appraiser and the factors below are taken into consideration (obviously, the state does not care how long you have been present in the state for income tax purposes since Florida has no individual income tax).

(1) A formal declaration of domicile by the applicant recorded in the public records of the county in which the exemption is being sought.

(2) Evidence of the location where the applicant’s dependent children are registered for school.

(3) The place of employment of the applicant.

(4) The previous permanent residency by the applicant in a state other than Florida or in another country and the date non-Florida residency was terminated.

(5) Proof of voter registration in this state with the voter information card address of the applicant, or other official correspondence from the supervisor of elections providing proof of voter registration, matching the address of the physical location where the exemption is being sought.

(6) A valid Florida driver’s license issued under s. 322.18 or a valid Florida identification card issued under s. 322.051 and evidence of relinquishment of driver’s licenses from any other states.

(7) Issuance of a Florida license tag on any motor vehicle owned by the applicant.

(8) The address as listed on federal income tax returns filed by the applicant.

(9) The location where the applicant’s bank statements and checking accounts are registered.

(10) Proof of payment for utilities at the property for which permanent residency is being claimed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Yes. You spent more than half the year—183 days—in Florida and the trip back to New Mexico was temporary and did not establish NM residency.

Florida permanent residency, according to the Section 196.015, is determined by the property appraiser and the factors below are taken into consideration (obviously, the state does not care how long you have been present in the state for income tax purposes since Florida has no individual income tax).

(1) A formal declaration of domicile by the applicant recorded in the public records of the county in which the exemption is being sought.

(2) Evidence of the location where the applicant’s dependent children are registered for school.

(3) The place of employment of the applicant.

(4) The previous permanent residency by the applicant in a state other than Florida or in another country and the date non-Florida residency was terminated.

(5) Proof of voter registration in this state with the voter information card address of the applicant, or other official correspondence from the supervisor of elections providing proof of voter registration, matching the address of the physical location where the exemption is being sought.

(6) A valid Florida driver’s license issued under s. 322.18 or a valid Florida identification card issued under s. 322.051 and evidence of relinquishment of driver’s licenses from any other states.

(7) Issuance of a Florida license tag on any motor vehicle owned by the applicant.

(8) The address as listed on federal income tax returns filed by the applicant.

(9) The location where the applicant’s bank statements and checking accounts are registered.

(10) Proof of payment for utilities at the property for which permanent residency is being claimed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies