CA tax status without a fixed CA home address

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have worked and lived in CA for many years, but recently terminated my apartment lease and am temporarily staying abroad. A potential CA-based employer is asking if I am a local resident for tax purposes. I plan on returning to CA in a couple of months after initially working remotely.

The issue is I do not currently have a fixed address, so: What status should my employer declare? Can I be considered a CA resident given that I have lived there most of the year, will return, have a bank account, etc? If not, what would the appropriate filing status be? 

"What status should my employer declare?"

That you're a California resident.

"Can I be considered a CA resident given that I have lived there most of the year, will return, have a bank account, etc?"

Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes.

"If not, what would the appropriate filing status be?"

Given what you've posted here California certainly will claim that you're a California resident.

Hi Tom: anyway I can contact you for hire? [email address removed]