CA Permanent IDL Do I need to File Taxes

I receive non-taxable permanent IDL and VA benefit, during the last year as of Jan. 2022 I purchased a home, and have received 1098,1099-INT from mortgage company; as well as 1095B CalPERS, 1095B US Dep. VA.. Do I need to file taxes with these forms?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MaryK4

You may need to file your IDL.   IDL provides full pay for the first 22 days of disability, and two-thirds (2/3) pay thereafter less the amount calculated for state and federal taxes.   As a short-term disability, it is taxable for the first six months of payments.  You do not report your VA benefits for tax purposes.  You also do not have to include 1095-B information for taxes.

I didn't explain myself correctly, I receive non-tax permanent disability (Perm. Industrial Disability) second year, I didn't file taxes last year for tax year 2021, however 2022 I purchased a home and want as much tax credit as I can receive; I received the following forms, and need guidance as what to do:  form 1098 and 1099-INT from Mortgage Lender, 1095B forms from CalPERS and US Dept.VA?

Do I qualify to file and or do I need to file?       

SharonD007

It depends. If your non-taxable permanent disability income is your only source of income and you are single, you do not necessarily have to file taxes. If you have another source of income and/or are married, please check the IRS Filing Requirement Chart to check if your gross income exceeds the threshold. 

If you do not need to file, it may be in your best interest to file – such as the case with stimulus payments that you may not receive if you do not file taxes. Please note, if you have no taxable income, you will not be able to e-file, you must mail your tax return to the IRS.

For additional information, please review the TurboTax article Can Disability Beneficiaries File for Taxes?

Yes single my non-taxable permanent disability income is my only source of income, and when I do file do attach the 1095b forms and 1098 and 1099-INT form along with the filling?

RobertB4444

You have no filing requirement.  The 1098 from the mortgage company only gives you a benefit if you have taxable income to reduce.  The 1095-B is not a form for filing - it is just an informational form for you about your health insurance.  You have no reason to file a tax return and will receive no benefit from doing so.  

@leozrock 

YOU'RE AWESOME!😀..I finally got a straight answer...