turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sgager1
Returning Member

Applying for refund - How can my Order Number be an incorrect format when I am literally copy/pasting it?

Applying for a refund due to an email mishap; paid to have my taxes prepped, but was using an incorrect email for it. Switched emails, paid the fee a second time, taxes are filed and sent, now seeking a refund for the incorrect email. Was advised to apply for a refund by a gentleman over the phone who directed me to a product request form. It asks me for an order number, which I have via receipt from the incorrect email. However, it tells me it is in the incorrect format, even when just copy/pasting the string of characters that has "Order Number" directly beside it. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
gianieciel
Returning Member

Applying for refund - How can my Order Number be an incorrect format when I am literally copy/pasting it?

Hi! 

I had the same issue with my TurboTax purchase. A software was suggested to me to be purchased however it was the incorrect one so I had to file a refund. I spoke with a representative and I was given the same link to refund it online but I kept getting the same message that my Order Number had the incorrect format and I was literally typing it how it was showed on my e-mail. What I had to do was call them instead. They had me verify my information and my purchase and I gave them my order number. I then received an email that I will receive my refund in 2-3 weeks. I hope you were also able to file a refund through them!

How did you call them?? Can’t find a phone #

@Shariberry62  wrote:

How did you call them?? Can’t find a phone #

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

I'm one of the early filers where Turbo Tax didn't ask if I received a 1095-a form. (I understand new versions of TT have corrected this.) My refund, submitted 2/7/2020 needs more info, like a form 8962 (which didn't get generated 'cause TT didn't ASK). So my refund has been delayed six weeks, at least. I thought it fair to request a refund of the Federal portion of the software I purchased. I too found the online refund form. I too copied and pasted. No good. Copied and pasted as plain text. No good. Typed in all in by hand! Still got the "not the right format" error. Well what the heck IS the right format?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@brhythm For assistance with this, you can call TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I called turbo tax as I was having issues in submitting my order #. I got it from my tax page as the order # was not in my confirmation email. She couldn’t find a solution so she’s trying to find someone who can help me. We were on the phone for over an hour. She was very nice and I felt bad as no one was answering her

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

@wabrwneyes1 Were you able to receive the help you needed for this issue?

No this issue was not resolved

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach back out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

@wabrwneyes1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies