turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Am I supposed to respond, "Yes", to having earned money in another state if I sold my residence in 2018?

It seems like a simple question, "Did Either of You Make Money in Any Other States?"  Here "Other States" refers to states other than ones in which my wife and I were residents.  But the software then notes that I should select "Yes" if I sold a home, which we did within one of the states in which we resided.  (In particular, the sold home was our residence for part of 2018.)  Should the note read, "Select 'Yes' if you made income IN ANY OTHER STATE from any of the following:"?  It seems peculiar that I should indicate, "Yes we made money in states OTHER THAN" the ones in which we were residents; if we sold a house (thus making money) in a state where we resided.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Am I supposed to respond, "Yes", to having earned money in another state if I sold my residence in 2018?

Yes, I agree it would be better to reword that question.  As you are already filing a state return for the state in which you sold your home, you should not also indicate that you have another state filing requirement for selling your home.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Yes, I agree it would be better to reword that question.  As you are already filing a state return for the state in which you sold your home, you should not also indicate that you have another state filing requirement for selling your home.

Thank you for your quick response, Karen. Now it's "back to work" on my 2018 taxes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies